Dr Ravikiran Shetty (41) is a qualified GP working in South West Wales. Originally from South India, Ravi moved to Wales after hearing about the well-supported career path and the opportunity to tailor your career to your interests. He is now settled here with his young family and has the work-life balance he always wanted.
Dr Ravi Shetty in his GP surgery in Camarthenshire, South West Wales
He explains why he loves working as a GP in South West Wales:
“After completing my postgraduate studies in India, I decided I’d like to start my career somewhere completely new. I moved to Wales in 2005, qualified as a GP in 2010, and I’ve been here ever since.
“One of the best things about training and working in Wales is the opportunity to tailor my studies and explore the areas that interest me most. There is a comprehensive choice of CPD courses available to trainees and support for work based learning. I’ve completed a number of additional qualifications, including an MRCS in Ophthalmology, a Diploma in Geriatric Medicine and a Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The training opportunities in Wales allow me to develop a career that suits me.
Trainee and qualified GPs in Wales can enjoy a number of benefits including:
- FINANCIAL INCENTIVES: Trainees can receive a £20,000 financial incentive to train as a GP in certain parts of Wales and remain in the area during training and for one year of practice afterwards.
- ONE-OFF PAYMENT: A one-off payment for GP speciality programme trainees starting their training in 2018, to cover the first sitting of the Clinical Skills Assessment and Applied Knowledge Test.
- SUPPORT TO RELOCATE: You could benefit from relocation support & family-friendly policies, including flexible hours, childcare vouchers and on-site crèche facilities.
- A LIFETIME OF PROGRESS: By joining the NHS in Wales, you’ll discover a culture where we never stop learning, where skills and knowledge are shared openly, and where personal development is hugely important.
- WORLD-CLASS RESEARCH & RESOURCES: You’ll have the opportunity to develop a portfolio career and work at the cutting edge of medicine in a variety of environments.
Explore GP jobs with NHS Wales
“In Wales, there’s a real community spirit and a culture where skills and knowledge are shared openly. Advice and help has been easily found, and because of this I’ve been able to build a portfolio that I’m really proud of.
“My reason for moving to Wales was primarily to live somewhere that’s welcoming and supportive. Wales has this, as well as lots of other lifestyle benefits, including fun and relaxing activities that have been perfect for my family. I would strongly encourage those looking to take the next step in their medical career to put Wales at the top of their list.”
To find out more about working and training in Wales:-
Find out more about working and living in Wales
GP Jobs has launched a new campaign called 'Wonderful Workplaces' to get GP and healthcare practices enthused about showcasing why they're a great place to work. For more information, visit the Wonderful Workplaces section here.